Elon Musk’s Hair Transplant
Elon Musk is always in the news for one reason or another, do you remember the time he made headlines for his hair transplant? Elon Musk’s hair transplant has been in the limelight and made many hair loss sufferers jealous. His changing hairline over the years has fueled speculations of a hair transplant.
Unlike Wayne Rooney and many other public figures, Elon Musk did not come clean about the hair restoration surgery. Even since he became the owner of Twitter, the news regarding his hair transplant has resurfaced and is becoming a point of obsession for fans and haters alike.
How Did It All Begin
Musk is believed to be affected by androgenetic alopecia which makes the person start to lose hair from an early age. Since he is one of the most popular inventors out there, there is a good chance that most people know what he looked like in his 20s. Take a look at his photos in the 90s and see the dramatic change yourself.
Musk obviously did something to reverse hair loss as evidenced by the 2022 Met Gala pictures. Severe hair loss can not be magically reversed without surgical hair restoration treatment.
Elon Musk’s Hair Transformation – Timeline
Here is a breakdown of the Elon Musk hair transformation
- Teenage Years – In his teen years, Elon Musk had dense hair with no noticeable signs of a receding hairline. It appeared that Musk suffered from problematic hair loss and began to show signs of hair thinning and balding not long after the famous photo of young Elon Musk was taken.
- The late 20s – Looking at the early PayPal publicity photos of Elon Musk will give you a clear understanding of the advanced hair loss he was experiencing at the time. When establishing Paypal in the late 90s, several images showed signs of substantial frontal hair thinning expanding to the mid-scalp. However, the hair thickness in the donor area looked good which is a contributing factor to a successful hair transplant.
- The early 2000s – The two photos of Musk taken in 2002 and 2007 showed a clear difference in the hairline. Many surgeons believe that the improved hairline captured in the 2002 photo was a result of effective medication like Minoxidil or Finasteride. His frontal-mid scalp hair got much denser by 2007 which is impossible to achieve with hair restoration medication alone. Most experts opine that Musk had his first hair transplant surgery between 2002-2007.
- 2010 To 2020 – There was no significant change witnessed in this decade. However, he definitely sported an upgraded hairline and thicker style very different from his former look. Such dramatic change obviously did not go unmentioned and became a newsworthy topic by the mid-2010s.
- Present-Day – Nowadays, Musk has a full head of hair without a sign of an uneven hairline. He has made a successful return from stage three or four hair loss with natural-looking, thick hair. Many surgeons believe that he had more than one hair restoration surgery to achieve the astounding outcome.
Unquestionably, Musk had an exceptionally successful hair transplant as the solid hair density he has now is not achievable with medication and non-surgical treatment plans. Moreover, it takes extreme surgical expertise to achieve exceptional, natural-looking results like Musks. His hair transformation did give hope to many people suffering from male pattern baldness.
What Kind of Hair Transplant Method Did Elon Musk Have?
Although it is an open secret, the man himself has not said a word about his hair transplant and hair transformation journey. Surgeons often speculate based on the results and the visible scar in the donor area that he opted for FUT hair transplant surgery.
In FUT surgery, a strip of skin is cut from the donor area to extract follicles which leave a noticeable scar. Musk has a faintly-visible scar running from the back of his head to the temple. This type of scar is most likely the result of FUT hair restoration surgery.
Most likely, Elon Musk underwent hair transplant surgery in the 2000s. FUT was a popular choice back then, therefore, Musk opted for this technique. It was only later that FUE gained popularity as a more efficient surgery option.
Since nothing is officially confirmed yet, surgeons make guesses assessing the before and after results. In addition, Musk addressed the hair loss problem at the right time when he had enough healthy hair in the donor area.
Cost of Elon Musk Hair Transplant
Elon Musk needed 5000 to 5500 grafts taking into account the extent of hair loss. It is believed that Musk underwent two FUE surgeries which may have cost around $40000 to $50000. Considering the exceptional results, there is a possibility that he may have paid higher for the quality hair transplant surgery.
Where Did Elon Musk Get His Hair Transplant Surgery?
No concrete information is available regarding where Elon Musk got his surgery. Considering his wealth, it appears that he went to an exclusive hair transplant clinic in Los Angeles. This clinic is known for treating high-profile patients and charging top dollar for the services.
Choose the right clinic and surgeon with great surgical skills to achieve hair transplant results similar to Musk. The chances of a successful hair transplant surgery are quite high with modern-day efficient techniques.